If you use Email, then you’ve probably seen junk Email. Junk Email is not only annoying but it can be quite dangerous if it falsely represents a legitimate company or if it has infected files attached. These fake Emails (called “Phishing” Emails) use a special offer or a scare tactic to try to get you to click a link and enter your personal or financial information on their website in order to steal your money, identity, or data. Even worse are infected emails — these Emails have a file attached or embedded that can do all sorts of damage with even less participation on your part. Email spammers and scammers are so sneaky and convincing that it is very helpful to have a good Email filtering system to check your Emails before you receive them.
TCC helps to protect you from these bad Emails with Email Filtering included with all TCC Email accounts. This blog post is meant to help you understand TCC’s Email Filtering and learn how to go into your filtered Email and filtering settings, just in case you need to make changes or release needed Emails.
TCC’s Email system protects you with a server-based Email Filtering. By server-based, we mean it does its filtering on our server before the Email is ever delivered to your computer or device. That way the bad Emails are never even on your devices which further reduces your risk of exposure.
HOW OUR FILTERING WORKS
When an Email message comes into our system, it checks the message content (*see below) and then classifies it as:
1) Approved – Message is delivered to user’s mailbox on the mail server
2) Junk – Message is quarantined in filtering for user to review and release or leave in quarantine for automatic removal
3) Spam/Virus – Message is considered dangerous or potentially dangerous and is blocked and deleted
* The TCC filtering system uses a variety of criteria to judge a message and it is always updating and evolving to identify the latest tricks and trends used by spammers so they can stop the messages. This also means that messages not blocked for years can all of the sudden start getting blocked as filters rapidly adjust to new threats.
The TCC filtering system sends a “daily spam digest” Email every day with the previous day’s quarantined messages.
Key to parts of the Daily Spam Digest Email:
A. Date of the Daily Digest Email
B. Links to the Dashboard website
C. Links to View quarantined Emails
D. Links to Release quarantined Emails
E. Other details about quarantined Emails
A user can safely click on the messages to review them and release them to their inbox if desired. Any messages not delivered to their inbox will stay in Quarantine for 30 days and will be automatically deleted after that. There are also links at the top of the list of messages that users can click to go into the filtering “Dashboard” to see more information.
The Dashboard is the main control center for a user’s filtering. Here are the main parts of the Dashboard:
A – Tabs to change between Messages, Settings, Policies, and Status
B – Toolbar buttons for messages (view, release, delete, select all, download, or print)
C – Date range of viewing from 2 Days to 1 Month
D – Messages in quarantine; click a message to view it
E – Link to view images in the message
F – Viewing space for selected message
The Messages tab is where you see your messages; Settings is to set time zone and daily spam digest; Policies is for accepting or blocking messages by sender, language, or attachment type; Status is a quick summary of your account. The Toolbar buttons are actions you can do when viewing a particular message. Change the date range to view a wider range of messages. Images are blocked by default in the view panel so you must click the link to view images.
VIEW AND RELEASE
To view and release an Email message, first go into the Dashboard. You can access the Dashboard by going to the Dashboard website or by opening the most recent Daily Spam Digest Email and clicking either “My Account” or “Settings.” You should be in the Messages tab. Click the date range button so you can see the message(s) you wish to view or release. Use the headings at the top to sort your messages by date, sender, subject, etc. so you can find messages easier. Find and click on a message you wish to view. The Email will be displayed in the viewing space below your list of messages. You can safely view the Email in this window without worry that it will infect your computer. Just don’t click on any links unless you are sure it is a safe link.
If you wish to Release the message so it comes to your Inbox, just click the Release button from the toolbar. You will see a pop-up telling you the message was released, which policy had quarantined it and whether you would like to modify your friends, enemies or other filter settings.
If you click the check mark to Modify and click OK, you will see the address(es) listed as the sender which will then be added to your “Friends” list in your filtering settings. Adding them as a friend will ensure that future messages from them will not be blocked, but instead will be passed directly through to your Inbox. Click Next > > to add them. Otherwise, click Cancel.
Next, you will see a screen to Change the Policy for your junk/bulk mail. By default, it is marked “No Change”. This action will allow ALL messages blocked for the same reason to be automatically approved from now on. In a practical sense, all messages currently getting quarantined will start coming through to your Inbox. Typically, you want to leave it on “No Change” but if you don’t have many quarantined Emails or if you simply want to see all of your Emails, you can click on Allow or Markup (allowed, but marked so you know which ones they were) and the Emails that would have been quarantined will now come to your Inbox.
- You only see yesterday’s quarantined Emails from your Daily Digest Email but you can see all of your quarantined Emails from the past 30 days from the Dashboard.
- You can get to the Dashboard using the links in your most recent Daily Digest. The links in older Daily Digest Emails will not work; they will require you to sign in with your Email address and password.
- You can also get to the Dashboard from the TCC website (www.tccpro.net) under My Account. You will need to sign in with your Email address and password.
- You can release Emails directly from the Daily Digest Email but you will not be asked if you wish to add the user to your “friends” list to prevent them from being blocked in the future. Only releasing from the Dashboard will do that.
- If you choose to change your junk policy to allow Emails, you will no longer receive a Daily Spam Digest Email as there are no longer messages being quarantined for you to view.
- You can call TCC for any assistance or to answer questions you have on Email or filtering.